Cyra

Cyra

Ashes (Ashes, #1) - Ilsa J. Bick The first thing that comes to mind about this book is the fantastically described zombie scenes. Lots of blood and gore, as to be expected from a zombie novel. As the story progresses we get a bit of respite from the creepiness, to point where it almost felt like I was reading a completely different book altogether, but surprisingly despite the change of pace the novel still seemed to flow really well only to take another turn and suddenly there is an unexpected cliffhanger ending that left me 'hungry' for more.
The main characters were likable and flawed. Alex is a strong and courageous character who is very self sufficient, perhaps a little to knowledgeable about wilderness survival for someone of her age who has a been receiving treatment for a large brain tumor. Ellie is a major pain but really she is just a typical eight year old and a terrified and confused one at that. Tom is highly skilled and mysterious.
I am eager to discover the fate of Tom, Ellie and Alex. This book is a good start to what I hope will become a great series.